- 1 1/2 cups of chopped white onion
- 1-2 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth (use 3 teaspoons of powdered broth in 2 cups water)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3-4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 heaping cup raw whole cashews (75 g) (soaked for 5 hours if you don’t have a high powered blender)
- 1 tablespoon organic lemon juice – DO NOT OMIT
- 1/4 cup non fortified nutritional
Add the onion and 1 cup of the broth to a large pan over medium-low heat.
Cook for about 8-10 minutes until the onion is very tender.
Add the garlic and cook a little more.
All of the broth should have evaporated by now. If not, keep letting it cook until the broth has evaporated.
You don’t want any more liquid once it’s done cooking, so the end result is thick and creamy.
Add the cooked veggies to a blender.
Start out by just adding 3/4 cup of the remaining broth and add the remaining ingredients (salt, pepper, cashews, lemon juice, nutritional yeast).
Blend on high for a couple of minutes until very creamy and smooth.
Add any more broth to reach desired consistency, if necessary. Add salt & pepper to taste.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can add in a tablespoon of vegan butter.
Serve over preferred pasta. Garnish with parsley, lemon zest and salt & pepper. Store leftovers in the fridge. The sauce will thicken up even more overnight, which you can thin out a little with a touch of broth when reheating.